Thursday, January 2, 2020

Day 1322

Well blogfriends it's a new year and a new decade huzzah!!   I thought I'd be sharing a well-after-the-fact Work Thing that knocked me for a helluva loop back before Christmas...but the Universe runs at lightspeed and bigger news completely displaced it.

On Sunday (which was, lemmesee...oh yeah, the 29th) I took Youngest Duckling to the ER in a florid psychotic state. Pure mania, complete inability to separate what was real from what was unreal, big delusions. Spent most of that day helping Security keep her in the ED bay long enough to get her admitted which was...challenging.  She was one of the funniest psychotics I've ever helped restrain but it's still hard to hear "you tricked me into thinking you were my mother" multiple times in one day, disease or not. She called my friend the security guard a "dickhole" during one of her escape attempts; that stood out among all the more garden-variety obscenity. 

I was thinking "well this is schizophrenia, pure and simple" and was surprised the docs were all hemming and hawing and "well we need to cast a wide net" and "we need to consider possible toxin exposure" and "let's take this a step at a time."  Looking back at what had happened over the previous few days the events were so classic you could have lifted them from a psych textbook. So why all the fuss?

Medicine is such that twenty years is a big chunk of time and my training is dated.

I’m not supposed to say the S-Word because the disease is now broken down based on how long you have had symptoms. What she had is now considered an “initial psychotic break” and with proper meds and support some people may never have another. The next step up the ladder is Schizoaffective Disorder which is "they had another episode somewhere in weeks to months" but the actual S-Word now requires symptoms present for six months or longer. 

And what would the one hallmark symptom be? Here it is: unable to distinguish between real  and unreal experiences. That’s still The Thing and that’s what she did all over the place in the ER. BOY did she ever. Once you’ve seen it in real life you don’t ever forget it and I did a whole inpatient psych rotation so I’ve seen several variations on the theme. My big takeaway is that we are putting this new time-limit thing on top of the same old disease process mostly to make it less awful. Which makes sense: who likes something that hits lovely vibrant 18-25 year olds with a lifelong chronic condition?

Yeah, well...I literally learned how to read in part on those Time-Life Science and Nature books you buy a month at a time which had an article about the wonders of Thorazine so I’ve never been particularly scared of schizophrenia. I’ve known my whole life others including my mother were terrified of even the word but I see - and always have seen - this as totally just like insulin-dependent diabetes. Some people get that under control too; some don’t. I have, in addition to Carrie Fisher, been thinking of Mary Tyler Moore a lot recently.

In any case the treatment is the same for all three things: antipsychotic medication. So it seems the disease itself hasn’t changed, really. This new "initial" "affective" "real diagnosis" seems to be PR for “take your damned meds.” I see this event as showing us that her wonderful creative joyous self has a brain which can break in a really powerful way so that makes her a little more fragile than the rest of us now.  

She got admitted Sunday night and took us on a wild chase around the ward during which I learned this old fat body can still sprint if it has to -- I outran three nurses to catch her myself because I thought "ohmighawd there's a stairwell at the end of that hallway" as she flew by.  That was after she'd had two doses of Ativan and oral Haldol so she got intramuscular Haldol and I helped hold her for the shot. There's something I never thought I'd be doing but well, here we are. Monday she was starting to come back to Earth and she got released home with me on New Year's Eve Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday night was hard because she couldn't seem to understand why I wasn't going to let her go to a New Year's Eve party at her friend's house even after we'd talked about it twice. She got tearful...but then was sound asleep by 8:15 so I had time to sew my ripped-up heart back together.  Yesterday wasn't bad but this morning when I got up at 6:15 I was surprised to see her awake in her room and when I asked when she woke up she said "four thirty" as if that were as normal as eight or nine...so we aren't there yet. 

The psychiatrist discharged her with only a week of the same antipsychotic her uncle takes because she plans to wean her off and see what happens. THAT is all part of this new approach too and freaks me out a bit because I'm thinking "damn, we just got her back from outer space; you wanna encourage taking off AGAIN?!?" but my friend the chief of psych says, "we do that now because if someone has an initial psychotic break, goes on meds for their whole life and never has another one we don't know if they needed to be on the meds, y'know, and they have side effects....but if they go off meds and have a -second- episode  then they get lifelong" which is how I think this is gonna go. 

So ain't that just a kick in the head? I'm glad I've got years of sobriety under my belt already because this might've been a big enough trigger if I hadn't.  I did Liver okay and I did Shoulder okay but Brain is just the one thing too many. 

Buy hey, I will survive and so will everyone else.  One thing I've learned over the past year: I'm one of the emotionally strongest motherfuckers I know. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh boy, do I ever feel for you. I can't even imagine what that must have been like for you as a mother to be witness to that. What I can say is that here in the UK they have a very similar approach to psychosis these day (I work in mental health) and I can't remember the stat exactly but something like 1/3 of under 25's can have a full blown psychotic episode and never have anything ever again. One of the psychiatrists I have spoken to said that our brains just aren't designed for the modern world, screen time, lack of sleep, stress, peer pressure, increased school pressure etc and many young people's brains just snap BUT not snap like a stick but snap like an overstretched rubber band but back into shape without breaking. Because of age and neuroplasticity it can go back to a previous "normal" stage. Over here we have something called the Early Intervention Service that is set up for under 35's who have had one episode of psychosis and they are reviewed for 6 -24 months and get mental resilience training, counselling or CBT alongside medication and monitoring.
    I hope this is a one off for all of your sakes but being sober and sane can only have been a good thing, you strong motherfucker!!
    Sending you only positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for kind words! This one is hard.

      Hugs,
      S

      Delete
  2. SamKD!
    I am so very sorry for your daughter and you.
    You have been through so much!
    You such a strong person!
    Just hugs, and let’s hope it was only one time.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one damn "capital" MOTHERFUCKING HERO! Woman, how you've held strong through all you've been through, and still haven't succumbed to drinking is phenomenal courage! A mother's love is STRONG! I've learned so much from your various trials and tribulations, but mostly I've learned anyone can get through anything, day at a time!! Much love to you!! Lia

    ReplyDelete