Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Day 725


I so rarely blog from an actual keyboard at an actual computer - this is nice.

I'm finally starting to be excited about my two-year soberversary. I ordered a cake to be delivered Friday the 18th and fancy fair-trade chocolates from the next state over to be delivered on Tuesday the 22nd because NO place will deliver something handmade/perishable/edible up here Fed Ex for -Monday- delivery; it's just a tad too remote. Those purchases were the excuse I needed to talk about it to the family so they'd get on board with being excited for me and it worked. They -are- excited for me. It's 

But the thing I ordered which I'm looking forward to most of all is a cordless reciprocating saw. It comes tomorrow so even if it has to be fully charged on this end by Friday evening the kind of pruning I've wanted to do for over a decade can finally begin.

You see one of the very few good memories - oh my, possibly the only - I have of spending time with my mother-in-law is the time we got rid of some shrubbery. I was in either my late twenties or early thirties and there were some scraggly thick bushes she wanted rid of I can't recall why and Grandpop (her father-in-law) was unable or unavailable to do it. The quote she got from someone startled her and I said "if we had the right power tool -we- could do it; there's a plug right there." I believe I may also have said "you don't operate those things with a penis." In any case she got a reciprocating saw at the local hardware store and we did indeed get rid of the shrubbery ourselves and it was surprisingly empowering. Both of us took a turn as the shrubbery was knotty. In any case we've had the reciprocating saw up here since '08 but I'm pretty sure the outside outlets quit working before then and in any case even if they did one would need a ginormous long extension cord.

Not any more. Pine boughs beware and apple branches take warning: if it's diseased or dead it's coming off. The place will be so much brighter. Most of it will be done by Middle for hire, rather than by me for fun, I'm sure as it probably won't -stay- thrilling and empowering but I'm pretty stoked.

I'll probably also get the 100+ colored felt-tip pen set I've been eyeing too - that's just too cool to pass up even if I'm currently more into fiber than art. I still get a big kick out of the fact that I never gave up coloring but kept quiet about it because sheesh, you used to not -say- you still colored because that was what little kids did and you'd take shit for it because hell, little -kids- who like to color used to take shit for it; I was one....and now it's A Thing.  That just tickles me no end. Take -that- nay-sayers.

And that's about it from this end - work is unpleasant right now but home is better/more calm so it balances out in the long run and for that I'm grateful.

Two years no booze is just so cool.

4 comments:

  1. I’m so happy for you! And love that your favorite gift is a saw. :-) I’ve been following you quietly for a while. I write daily too but am no where near as far along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOO HOO!!
    Happy 2 years!!
    Happy Dance for you!! I am super happy we are on this road together!
    What a blessing to have sober friends around the world to help us!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete