Thursday, March 28, 2019

Day 1036

I had to count up the days to answer an e-letter and thought I might as well throw it up as a post.  I don't think about days so much any more but I do know that May 21 is my three-year soberversary so I'm looking forward to that. 

Things here are...well, a lot more chaotic than usual.  I brought Spouse and his two dogs back up to our house over the weekend so that's the driver of the chaos. It's overall a greater good but it's gonna take a while to get used to it especially as I'm still recovering. I myself am having good days and not-so-good days.  Because I came back up to cold weather and dry air, the -inside- of my throat, where the ETT was, is still irritated and although it's not particularly sore I'm a bit hoarse...and the muscles in my neck occasionally still "twinge" but not much or for very long.  The bigger issue is the mood swings though-- apparently since the parathyroid/calcium/Vitamin D pathway is all part of the "hormonal axis" that's kind of to be expected but it took me over an hour of digging through more superficial post-op instructions to find that out and I was starting to wonder if I were having mental issues of my own.  Also the GI disturbances I've been having are part of it -- apparently the calcium/parathyroid pathway affects the pancreas in some way.  The good news is that Days 7-10 should theoretically be the worst "bottoming out" part and things should start getting better from here which is good because yesterday I was rather a weepy mess for more of the evening than I would have liked. The incision itself is small and healing well -- I took the steri-strip off Sunday night. So that's all good.

My relative in the inpatient unit is being discharged today-- that should be another overall Greater Good.  

I'm tired and more stressed than usual but it all seems do-able.  I'm sure it would NOT have seemed do-able back in my drinking days.  What's even better is that now, because I've traveled the path myself, I feel like I can actually be support for my two newly-sober relatives. That's nice. 

8 comments:

  1. It takes longer to recover than they tell us! After my thyroid operation, it took awhile for things to even out.
    Give yourself time and rest!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice- thanks! I keep thinking I ought to be Just Fine Now which is unrealistic. Working on being more reasonable with myself.

      Hugs,
      S

      Delete
  2. What a time you've had lately, but you are strong and handling everything well; I appreciate how you share your story, the good, not so good, and plain icky stuff. But most importantly, you are sober. Your three year anniversary will be here before you know it! xo, ll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It -has- been really hard lately. But I really see how much easier it is doing hard things while sober than it was doing normal things with too much booze around.

      Hugs,
      S

      Delete
  3. You are amazing. I miss your daily blogging but understand the need to move away from it. Hitting 1000 days had to be just awesome. 3 years is just around the corner! I could have been there too, should have been there but I guess we all have to do it in our own time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time will come. It took me many years.

      Delete
  4. Hey SamKD, sorry to hear you've been through the wars. I hope you are continuing to recover and will be back to your old self again soon.
    I'm trying to get my shit back together and have started to read blogs again in the hope of motivating myself and had a moment of pure panic when I had to go back weeks to find a post from you- needless to say I feared the worst but was relieved to see it wasn't booze that got ya but surgery.
    May 21st will be a poignant day for me and a harsh reminder of how hard I have fallen and how much of a struggle I a, having to get sober again. I am immensely proud of you though and you must treat yourself to something super special cos damn, you deserve it. Don't ever ever think you can go back because it's the worst here. I'm jealous but totally delighted for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear from you again! Keep posting!

      Delete