Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Day 537

Another really long mostly unpleasant day. Too much work at the office and too much emotional support to give at home. Lost my cool detachment and got frustrated with my drinking family member...which, predictably, didn’t go well. We all know from personal experience how poorly someone who overdrinks reacts to anyone not on board the good ship ethanol. I wish I could have expressed my worry and concern in a more effective way but I had just run flat out of compassion at that point.

It’s better (the verbal tension and arguing; no clue what will happen with the drinking) now but I realized that I am still trying way too hard not to have negative emotions and apologizing for them when I do. I might be getting better at the more tangible aspects of living life but there’s still a lot of mountain to climb on the emotional side of things.

But hey: didn’t drink and didn’t -want- to drink so the day was still a success.

2 comments:

  1. And now even when I react in a way I am not happy about, my regrets are way way less. Dealing with drinking family members is super hard.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Regrets are way way less” — so true. Navigating rocky interpersonal waters is definitely easier sober. Even when it’s bad it’s still better than doing it drunk.

    ReplyDelete