Thursday, May 17, 2018

Day 726

What a down and up day.

Lots of work but then there was a noon meeting I'd been dreading since yesterday afternoon because it involved a friend of mine who had been put on administrative leave. I knew I'd been hearing a one-sided version of the story for a while but I had no idea just how one sided it was so that was disillusioning. Yet also the boss involved, whom I've known and disliked for a longer time than the friend, is being carefully mean about things so that was disillusioning too.  Basically I spent a lot of the day being sadangry.

Part of that was because Eldest, at 23, has decided one of the ways to deal with the horrible three weeks between last law school final and grades being posted is to drink too much in that sneaky way some drinkers have. Hell, most maybe. Anyhow that was disillusioning too because the two other blood relatives of mine who did that were exceedingly difficult indeed and didn't have particularly happy lives. I'm hoping I'm way off in the land of What If and certainly don't want to end up in its transportation hub to Crazytown so I'm trying not to dwell but still.

All that and a lot of work too - a good half of it if not more got turfed to tomorrow.

However my reciprocating saw arrived tonight and it charged surprisingly quickly. I got to actually try it out.  Lots of fun - not enough that I intend to do the work myself because hauling the boughs over the hill is dreary - but it was a really nice way to end the day as was having Youngest pick up the carry-out. I got a grilled cheese sandwich and although it may turn out to be way too much food it was SO good at least in part due to having been made by Someone Else. I've always said sandwiches taste better when they're made by someone else. I think they also taste better when made upside down and righted but I don't try to push that one as hard as it's a tougher sell.

I have a friend who lives on the Big Island of Hawaii and although she is clear t'other end from the angry volcano she is friends with people who are not. They put out a call for respirator masks and I pitched in so that felt rewarding. Timely too once my friend said she could start to smell sulfur in the air even as far up as Hawi. My.

Youngest is at rehearsal and Middle has two friends visiting so it's just me and the beagle and that's okay because after sawing and eating that heavy dinner I broke out into a sweat and think lying in the recliner chair with the fan on sounds like a fine thing.

Oh but "recliner chair" reminds me - as another present to myself (I didn't do enough for one year, in retrospect, so I'm trying to jazz it up more this milestone) I finally got another recliner chair for the family room and floor lamps for various places. When Spouse and Eldest are at the other house there's plenty of space but it would be nice to have good seating when we're all together as well.

Though it's doubtful that will happen much as there's a chance Eldest made Law Review and I'm not sure what exactly that is and haven't yet googled but she says that if she does she can't leave the area because she'll have to be on campus a lot. Plus they're getting another puppy next Friday. Such is the way of the world.

So it's been an eventful day, that's for sure.  Haven't wanted to drink though, and am ending it with more positive than negative I think, so it's still a big win.

No comments:

Post a Comment