Friday, July 20, 2018

Day 789

What. A. Day.

I think I mentioned that our son, the Middle Child who is living at home and commuting to nearby state college (math major; starts his senior year next month) turned 21 on Tuesday. I know I mentioned yesterday’s work reception going really well. I was happy about that although new shoes meant my feet were killing me before it was over - might have mentioned that too. 

The dogs even let me have a decent amount of sleep last night. However as I was sitting down to breakfast this morning at 7 ish, our son called, surprised to be waking up at the hospital.  The local hospital for a town of 2000. The local hospital where I work as a department chief which is why I had the shindig the night before. He needed picked up and a female voice on the phone called out to bring a change of clothes. 

So I went to his room and found pants and a shirt but went nuts looking for underwear. Who the fuck runs out of -underwear- for fucks sake?!? Grabbed yesterday’s pair off the floor - fuck it. 

Then I went on a -very- long 6-mile drive to the hospital. Apparently he got blackout drunk and mouthy as hell at the for-locals (as opposed to tourists) bar. No legal issues of any kind, praise be. I had been so worried. Could have been helluva lot worse. So. Much. Worse.  He did not seem to appreciate that aspect of things - well not at 7:30 in the morning still half-drunk from the night before - but I certainly do. 


He was hauled into the ED to sleep it off; was in disposable scrubs when I arrived due to puking. I confirmed with hospita security officer there was no legal wrongdoing . Officer also explained that he was in a crisis (psych) unit bed because he had “some salty language” which was disturbing others, said “hey you had sober friends driving” ( which did my heart good) and returned his belongings. 

Later that morning his sober friend showed up at the house to return his cellphone and fill in the details. Apparently everyone bought my (5’5”, 130 lbs, jeans waist 30”) son shots because of the recent birthday and bihghawd he drank all of them. After having eaten zero food that day.  “Tried to start three fights” which I think means pushed some people and then was outside loudly and violently vomiting when law enforcement showed up and made his friend take him to the ED - ensured compliance by following in the police vehicle. They got to ED and there were “seven sheriffs” who likely happened to be there for other reasons but when son was put in wheelchair & saw all of them he decided in his drunken state to make a run for it (?!!?) and was grabbed, thrown against a wall and handcuffed -then- wheeled into ED. 

Apparently he settled down after that.

On top of a home repair and the three beagles that was just one thing too many. I’m shot. Emotionally exhausted and morally bankrupt (that’s a quote from MASH which is a TV show that hasn’t aged particularly well imho.)


I have been eating All The Carbs today for the first day in a long time and don’t even care. 

Fortunately the beagles are starting to act less crazy all day long. But damn, just damn.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that must have been really hard for you!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was...thanks for kind words. I’m still processing it I think.

      Delete