Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Day 579

Good heavens tomorrow, in addition to being the solstice, is also my 19-month Soberversary. How ‘bout that?

I’m having lunch with the Other Mother-in-Law (my daughter’s husband’s mother hereafter OML)  tomorrow and even though it was my idea I have rather mixed feelings about it. The biggest reason driving my invitation was guilt and I’m thinking that’s not a terribly strong foundation for a relationship, even a fairly superficial one. Back when Eldest and SiL were moving, I ran into OML and in chatting about the kids moving she said something about “and we should let each other know when we’re going down to visit because we could maybe carpool or something.”  I thought she was just making polite social noises, I really did. I mean why on earth would two people who barely knew one another want to spend four and a half hours on the road together? And why would either of us want to spend what little vacation time we had sharing “the kids” with the other? So I made some sort of “yeah sure we’re both on FaceBook” kind of noise and never gave it another thought.

Till about 5 or 6 months later when I heard from Eldest that OML was kind of mad because she could telll from my FB posts I had been to the other house (where the kids had moved) twice and not invited her along either time. I found that to be, in the words of the late Carl Sagan, reasonably stunning information. Had some feelings about it too.

The truth of the matter is that I’m not -ever- going to invite her along on one of my vacations. I can, however, invite her to lunch which I did. Offered her the choice of two places and to pick the time which has resulted in a lunch far later than I usually eat at the place I like less. Such is the nature of the universe.

A good thing from today: my site visit was much shorter than usual so I had plenty of time to buy printer cartridges which we desperately needed. A bad thing from today: ABL is deliberately limit-testing again.

Still eating too much sweet and/or starchy stuff. Given all else of late I’m mostly just rolling with it...as long as I don’t lapse into the things I consider seriously disturbed. So I don’t hit the MyFitnessPal goals for a week or two - there are worse things.

That said, I’m damned well not making fudge again as having a whole batch right in the house meant that even though it was a piece or two at a time I ended up eating the vast majority of the half-batch left over after gifting. I had forgotten just how much I like fudge.

This is a sobriety blog not a food-issues blog so I’m done with eating-talk...other than to notice how eerily parallel a lot of the overeating is to overdrinking.

At least work is finally back to normal. That’s a help.





2 comments:

  1. Happy Winter Solstice!
    I am glad you have some boundaries with your MIL.
    I was lucky, and my MIL was really easy to get along with.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Solstice to you too!!
    Actually OML is my -daughter's- mother in law so we're sort of peers...but yes to the boundaries. MY mother-in-law is MiL and I'm doing reasonably okay with boundaries for her too though they get busted every so often.
    You -were- lucky to have a good MiL -- I had a great _grandmother_ in law whom I miss to this day (and so does Spouse.)
    xo
    S

    ReplyDelete