Sunday, February 4, 2018

Day 624

Drove home this morning. Left way early because snow was predicted for afternoon up here and of course I didn’t want to go and it was hard. At least I very sensibly ate a good breakfast before heading out - usually I don’t and then I get too hungry. Well surprise!!! The snow started far earlier than expected. The last third of my trip was Just. Awful. An hour of no faster than 45-50 mph on interstate with either 65 or 70mph speed limit then 45 minutes of no faster than 30 mph on a state highway with speed limit of 55 mph and drove (crept!) by several cars off the road. Had planned to do the grocery shopping this afternoon but fuck that - I put the car in the garage as soon as I got in and and announced I was not going out again till tomorrow morning. I keep the house well-stocked enough that even after being gone from Friday morning till Sunday noon I didn’t -have- to go out.

Then it just -kept- snowing. The weather people had predicted 3-5” in total but we already had that much on the ground by the time I got home all cranky and traumatized. We now have closer to eight or nine inches. 

After I got home the very first thing I did was take a good hour to relax on the couch. I was kind of wrecked from so -much- bad weather driving.  However once I recovered I fed the critters, made chili for the humans, cleaned the bathroom, shoveled the front-of-the-house walkway, did laundry and made the good brownies from The Joy of Cooking. I had a lot of nervous energy to burn.

Even after all that I was in bed for the night at 9:30 which is where I’m writing this blog post. Formerly I would have been so stressed from the driving that I would have stopped at the liquor store on the way home and spent the rest of the evening getting tanked to make up for the trauma of the drive...and used the excuse of “it’s the Super Bowl so -everyone- will be drinking on a work night and hung over in the morning” as an excuse to make sure I got -enough- which is to say more than my usual amount. Would have done all kinds of stupid stuff like pumping fluids or eating late at night to attempt not to have the inevitable lousy sleep and shitty morning too.

It is just so -good- to be off _that_ merry-go-round. 


5 comments:

  1. I've only been in snow a couple of times, and only one time when it was actually snowing! I was afraid and made my husband turn back to our cabin. He was besides himself, saying I was making a big deal out of nothing. He's from upstate New York, I'm from southern California, so...anyway, glad to know you made it safely home and nested for a bit before doing all you did! I agree, I have more energy to do all kinds of things now that drinking isn't one of the activities I partake in. I wonder how it will be when I make it to 100 days.

    I can't imagine 600+ days, but hopefully, one day I'll be there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when I got to the 200s and 300s I -still- couldn’t really imagine five or six hundred days...but it happened! What I -could- imagine, though, was ohmahghawd no way can I start at Day One all over again. You can totally do it too!!

      Delete
  2. We got snow here, in Super Bowl city.
    Not that much, though driving is still tricky!
    So good to be off the crazy ride!
    Besides, you have enough going on!!
    LOL
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah it took a long while before I was far enough away to have any perspective at all but now it actually puzzles me why on -earth- I would have been so hurtful to myself for so very long without even realizing it -was- hurtful.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete