Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Day 640

Odd day.

Woke up with puffy throat and tight chest but was not about to let illness win. A deer clobbered Middle’s car last Wednesday evening (did I mention it? I can’t remember) so I drove it to the body shop this morning and found myself listening to FM radio for the first time in many months as my car has XM radio. Found a station the car identified as "Rock" and it was playing stuff I liked. I was three songs and a commercial break deep before it identified itself as "Oldies [call numbers]." 

So that was a shock. 

After swapping damaged car for a loaner I stopped at a Denny's (chain restaurant) specifically because they advertise biscuits. Total bummer: the biscuit was a strange rubbery thing not worth eating. I should have known better as it's impossible to get a decent biscuit in these parts - you know it's bad when KFC is the best of all available options. Wasn’t a total loss though as the omelet was good as were the hash browns.

Went to the register to pay for my meal and right there was a sign saying that if one presented one's AARP card one could get 15% off the bill all day every day...so then I was annoyed I didn't have mine with me. I mean yeah sure 51 hardly seems senior-citizen-discount old but hey, 15% is still 15%.


Finished up a lot of odds and ends at work and then despite the tired and achy went for a walk anyhow as the weather is currently unseasonably warm. That was slow going but mostly nice except for all the whole-sidewalk puddles as my feet got wet. 

Got home and made a by-request dinner: Wienerschnitzel. I’m lacto-ovo (plus clams, shrimp and scallops) but my family isn’t and I’m not big on forcing my beliefs on others so I’m fine with cooking carnivorous meals but this one is about the worst I can think of: little baby veal cutlets breaded and sautéed in an extraordinary amount of butter...but the menfolk inthe family all think it’s great. (Maybe someday I will live in a place where the whole household is meat-free but that ain’t today.) Turned our to be a damned fine production: everything done at the same time and served at the proper temperatures.

Due in part to unexpected phone call nobody thanked me for the dinner which was a helluva lot of work. I know Heinlein said we should -never- _expect_ gratitude but it was awfully fucking hard not to be picking up pebbles by the -handsful- to fill up my bag of resentment. Eventually got over it but even so I’m not making -that- meal again maybe ever.

Had to change the sheets because boy-beagle puked on the bed sometime in the night last night but after that I spent most of the evening lying down. And now it’s bedtime for real and tomorrow is a whole new day AND my 21-month Soberversary. Huzzah!







 


.

2 comments:

  1. 21 months, Hurrah, Congrats, Well-Done!!! I'm so happy for you, hope you figured out a special treat of some kind! On a side note, I agree about the veal, I don't get it! My husband loves it, I can't even give it a try, doesn't seem right somehow. xoxo, ll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Appreciate the kind words and thoughts.

      Hugs,
      S

      Delete