Saturday, October 29, 2016

Day 162

A Half-Century. Not bad.

It was a good day. Slept in till 8 then we surfed a while...got carry out breakfast so I wouldn't have to cook.

Middle wanted white pants for a costume so off we went to the Wal-Hell...but since it is late October in the Hinterlands of course there were none to be found. No worries though: Wal-He'll sells yard goods. Got twill and an easy-sew pattern.

Went for a nice long walk - farther down one of the local roads than I had ever been before - and very much enjoyed my audiobook. Got back and wished I'd put the fabric in the wash -before- my walk but it was all good. Picked up carry out dinner so I still wouldn't have to cook.

Laid out the fabric but didn't start assembly till around 5:30 -  had finished pants (well except for the hems) by 9:45. Yup, still got the mad sewing skills.

Used both Fray-Check AND Stitch Witchery; that was supremely satisfying as my mother would have a shit fit. I can still recall her bitching about "glued together" and "never survive the first washing" about a blouse I made in Jr high and wore all through high school.

Pattern did not have pockets and called for elastic not a drawstring; I added both. I am woman hear me roar! Plus used both the zipper foot -and- the buttonhole foot of the sewing machine. See previous roaring sentence. I have reclaimed the sewing my mother issues kept at bay for decades and boy does it feel good.

Also there was cake.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good birthday, even if you did have to do your sewing machine wizardry. Also it seems there is a genuine sense of happiness and pride about using your sewing machine which is awesome to read. I admire you for that.
    When my daughter was about 4-5 she wanted to be Daphne from Scooby Doo for Halloween but I was SO broke at the time I couldn't afford a regular costume. I ended up buying purple felt doubling it over, laying my daughter down in starfish pose and drawing around her in chalk. Then I cut out the double layer and indeed GLUED it together. Glued on a green piece of felt and hey presto Daphne. Ha ha it did this job but it was a very funny shape when not on my daughter's body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!
    I used to love to sew, but haven't done it for years.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete