Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Day 110

A good day.

Heck, a better than good day. Night 2 of a methylprednisolone dosepak and I feel, as Tony the Tiger says about frosted flakes, gr-r-r-e-AT!  Apart from the flushed face, that is, but even that doesn't bother me overmuch as the itching is gone and I have this not-quite-wired but somehow-more feeling. Spouse says I sound edgy and anxious on the phone but I don't feel that way. I feel like I could stay up far too late tonight is what I feel like so I may be taking Motrin PM later. Will definitely be knitting here in a little bit; got way too much energy for this time of night.

Anyhow, the thing that made it a better than good day wasn't just pharmaceutical side effects but also the resolution of an event I had been dreading. A while back my workplace decided that the fleet cars (for use on work business to our regional sites) were no longer going to be parked on-campus but rather at an off-campus site about six miles away. Security said that the policy would be for the individual using a fleet car to sign it out in the security office same as always but then drive their* personal vehicle to the offsite lot, park it and take the fleet car then reverse the process on the other end of the trip.

Well the whole point of my needing a fleet car in the first place is because Middle and I are sharing a car again now that classes have started. When the decree came out I emailed the head of Security who said "we will help out in any way we can" but I also knew they were very short staffed and were the backup for the transporters, who are even more short-staffed.  So I worried. Over the summer it was fine as I could drive myself and claim mileage but today was the day that I had to chair a meeting at one of our other facilities and didn't have a car. Was worried how it would work and whether they'd be able to drive me and of course had the whole don't-want-to-be-an-imposition thing going on too.  This has seriously been a nagging stressor in the back of my head for over a month.

I shouldn't have worried at all.  One of the security guys was more than happy to drive me to the site and kept falling all over himself apologizing for not being able to leave the very second I showed up in the office. For the return I was told to park the car right in the front-door circle and they'd take care of it...and they were apologetic they hadn't brought the car up from the lot to the front door in the first place!  Here I was all worried about their reaction to my request for no reason at all and they were not only worried about my reaction to -them- but also happy to keep helping out any time I need to make a site visit which should be every single week but usually works out to 2 or 3 weeks in any given month.

I know I've blogged about this before but once again that "fear of the unknown" thing had me mentally turning it into something -far- worse than it ever could possibly be in reality and making much worrisome ado about nothing. Clearly I can't stop that habit entirely but I'm hoping at some point to start being able to -listen- when I tell myself "it can't possibly be as bad as you're making it out to be."

At least now I don't end up drinking over the made-up stress in my head about impending events. That used to happen pretty regularly in days gone by.

* I am old enough to very much prefer s/he or his/her but I must cede that "they/their" is far more inclusive so I'm trying to change my ways.

1 comment:

  1. I used to drink when I was stressed too. And when I was happy, and sad, and when celebrating and when commiserating. It's such a relief not having to do that anymore. Congrats on 110 days! A x