Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 60


Sixty days.  That feels good. It was a good day, too. Weather turned agreeably cool and breezy so when I walked out for lunch by way of the library it was quite pleasant. The boss email was well-received and I stayed on top of my work so I didn't feel a bit guilty taking a nice long lunch.

The library is always nice but as it is an un-air-conditioned building it was nicer today than in recent days and I saw a co-worker in passing so I'm not the only library-fan out there. Got the sequel to my most recent novel which was exactly as I'd planned so I would have lunchtime reading because eating alone in a restaurant can be awkward but eating with a book in a restaurant is one of life's little pleasures. So was the meal: most veggie burgers are rather sad and definitely pale imitations of the real thing but this restaurant, despite being heavily weighted toward the carnivores, does a made-in-house bean-burger with melted mild cheese, grilled onions, roasted red peppers and arugula on a brioche bun and the end product is rich and satisfying and with waffle sweet potato fries on the side (and they know how to keep the oil the proper temperature, praise be) it was enough to have half for lunch and the other half for dinner...

...which is kind of what I did with the novel too, but it was more like two chapters at lunch, one over afternoon break and then the rest with and after dinner.  Whichever dust-jacket blurb said that Eoin Colfer was like Carl Hiaasen was right and I think "zany" is probably the adjective of choice.  Fun but well-constructed. What I call "potato chip" novels because they aren't a bit deep but are most entertaining and go down so easily. Given how much books have meant to me over the years, having a whole one was a perfect way to celebrate Day 60.

Tellya what I'm not celebrating though...I've developed psoriasis in my freaking ears of all the annoying places. I find this particularly obnoxious because I've known for a long time that if one happens to be a psoriasis sufferer who also drinks then quitting the booze will improve the psoriasis, sometimes to the point of going completely away.  So it seems rather unjust that I who have never had it before have now, after being abstinent for 10 of the past 12 months including the past two consecutively, been afflicted. In the grand scheme of things it's just an annoyance, to be sure, but it surely is annoying.  For the first week I was in complete denial and last week wasn't much better but today was also the day I got over myself and picked up cortisone cream at the drugstore after the library but before the lunch. 

Still, this day had far more good than bad in it.  I'm sure there will be many more not-so-good days and even some downright rotten ones but today was a good day and I'm happy for that.

3 comments:

  1. It may be Day 60 but, really, you have a very long stretch of not abusing the juice. That's impressive. I'm sorry about the psoriasis. I sort of feel your pain...why my fingers hurt, my head hurts and I am having hot flashes AFTER stopping drinking is beyond me as well. Oh well, numbing reality isn't good either, best to just deal with it! Great job getting back to 60!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news re day 60 and enjoying your book, bummer re the psoriasis. I get eczema and if psoriasis is anything like it (it may be worse) I have every sympathy for you. Could there be another trigger? Gosh you really have been off the sauce even if it has been split over a couple of goes. Glad today was much better. Those sweet potato waffle fries sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on day 60! Love the burger description - when veggie burgers are done properly, who would go for meat!? I'm sorry to hear about your psoriasis too, that sounds really uncomfortable. Hope it's nothing to do with the ear-wig... xx

    ReplyDelete