Friday, December 23, 2016

Day 216 (belated)

I forgot last night but I hadn't been awake even ten minutes when I thought "oh ghawd, I forgot to blog last night!" Funny how that works.

It was a better day than Wednesday for sure - moody but markedly less so. Played computer games for the first time since before I found out my leg was broken. Right before bed (my usual blogging time) I got the results of my bone density scan which show "osteopenia" which is apparently the precursor to flat out "osteoporosis." I don't need medication but "Exercise, weight bearing and muscle strengthening exercises have been shown to be an integral part of osteoporosis prevention and for osteoporosis treatment."  Supposed to be getting 1200 mg of calcium a day. 

I don't smoke and never have so that blurb doesn't apply but there's also this: "Alcohol restriction: limit alcohol use to no more than one drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men. One drink equal 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of 80 proof distilled spirits."
Well. There are now two voices in my head. One is saying "See! you brought it on yourself with all those years of boozing it up" and the other is saying "Hey, there's another reason to be proud of what you've done so far and to -stay- quit."  I suppose everyone has their own Harsh and Mellow but I've realized that my own Harsh comes through first and louder...that's something to work on in the coming year I think.  "Compassion is incomplete if it doesn't include yourself" is a more formal way of saying "you don' love yourself, honey" but both versions fit.

TUMS are definitely in my future: my morning Greek yogurt and nightly cup of whole vitamin-D milk only add up to 500 mg of calcium which is less than half my goal...sigh.  One more thing to remember.  Good thing I stay sober now so that I can keep on top of all this age-related stuff, huh?

Still not a bit into Christmas. Can't win 'em all.

1 comment:

  1. There can be other things that cause oseoporosis, the least of which is genetics!
    I get monitored because I have celiac disease. And I was only diagnosed when I was 42..coincidentally the day I quit drinking.

    Give yourself a hug. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete